Gelita acquires majority stake in Turkish gelatine manufacturer

SelJel’s gelatine is all halal, which is important for markets across large parts of Asia in addition to Islamic states

Gelita has acquired 65% of the shares in Turkish gelatine producer SelJel. The remaining 35% of the shares remain with the company’s founding family.

SelJel has produced more than 6,500 tons of edible, pharmaceutical and technical gelatine, and supplies both domestic and international customers.

"We are delighted that we have come to an agreement. SelJel complements Gelita perfectly. All their products have halal status, which helps us to meet the growing demand for these products," said Dr Franz Josef Konert, CEO of Gelita. "This will further boost Gelita's strong global network, now with 23 locations worldwide, and SelJel will profit from Gelita's global presence".

The acquisition is aimed to help Gelita to meet the increasing demand for gelatine, and in particular for halal bovine gelatine. This is important not only in Islamic states but also in large parts of Asia.

SelJel, which currently employs around 220 people, was founded in 1961. The founding family Tezman will continue to manage the company.

Companies